Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Blue Sweater 2

The second part of Jacqueline’s book continues her journey in Rwanda and finding out about the women from the bakery. Jacqueline goes through many trials with getting robbed, finding out her friends had been killed, and learning that people aren’t always who she thought they were. People like Agnes and Prudence helped Jacqueline see that humans are not perfect or consistent, and the Rwandan Genocide taught her a lot about human nature. Through the many loans given to women, she learned that solving poverty isn’t just about giving money, but each situation requires different solutions. She realizes that we can be more helpful if we see everyone as a single unit, and base our poverty eradicating strategies on promoting human dignity. Jacqueline creates the Acumen Fund and attempts to support institutions rather than projects. The Acumen Fund has done some amazing things, and what I find most interesting is how Jacqueline discovers that the best way to solve poverty is not with sympathy, but with moral leadership that comes up with solutions from the point of view of the poor, rather than imposing grand ideas onto societies that work differently from what we might be used to.


Jacqueline’s experiences reminded me of my time working in a children’s hospital in Cambodia. I saw so many things I never even imagined were possible. We saw villages built on stilts on a river, and people with no money who traveled for weeks to get to the hospital. I wanted so badly to help everyone that it was really hard to realize there was no way that I could everyone I saw. And I knew that my few weeks with them, and any money or knowledge we could give them wouldn't last very long. But I also realized a lot of the things that Jacqueline discovered. Sympathy and charity weren’t going to help these people in the long run. They needed a system that could sustain them and manage the issues constantly, not being dependent on monetary donations. What was really important was not only the Western doctors who visited the hospital for a few weeks to help with patients, but the Cambodian doctors going to Europe to study from better doctors, so that they could come back and apply what they learned to best help their own people. Only the Cambodians truly knew what would help the poor and sick the most, and even though the money was important in starting these hospitals and programs, what was most beneficial was training the Cambodian people to take care of their own when the charity wasn’t always there supporting them. Education was key to getting those in poverty to move into better situations.

6 comments:

  1. I think that's amazing that you could relate your experiences to Jacqueline's. Like you said, I wish people would place more emphasis on training those who live within these communities to help solve problems and make a change, rather than organizations bringing in outside reinforcements that aren't as effective in making communities productive and sustainable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually also spent a lot of time working in Cambodia. I didn't work in hospitals but stayed by a rural village for a while to help them build some infrastructure/start businesses. But i think you are absolutely right, there is only so much outside help can do, and the easiest way for people to move out of poverty to to take care of their own and through education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You experience sounds very similar to Jacquelines experience. I commend you for realizing what you did. Even though you saw all of these terrible things,you also understand that it takes to much to make a difference. There is only so much others can do but it will only last so long. I think its hard for others to understand or agree with that because they haven't been in that type of situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that you connected your own experience to Jacqueline's; they sound so similar in that both of you realized that you couldn't help everyone. I always used to think that I could go to other countries and help people within a couple weeks of being there, but especially after reading this book, I realized that it takes a lot more than money to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you relate your story to Jacqueline's and I totally agree that simply sending some doctors to cure the patients for few days doesn't help to solve the problem in root. What's more important is Cambodian doctors going to study from outside world and using advanced knowledge to solve their local problems. I am glad that this book reminds you of your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you brought in your story from your experiences in Cambodia. The selfishness that goes along with that is not only inspiring but it also is something to learn from. I love how you were able to see a relationship about helping others as well and how money is not the only thing they could benefit from.

    ReplyDelete